Recipe of the Month - AprilSucculent steak burger with bacon and chilli jam from the St Mawes Hotel
700g minced chuck steak
50g tomato ketchup
1tbsp Worcester sauce
½ tsp celery salt
Salt and ground black pepper, to season
4 brioche buns
1 baby gem lettuce
4 slices of Emmental cheese
Chilli jam ingredients:
200g smoked streak bacon, chopped as finely as possible
100g long red chili, as hot as you like, seeded and finely diced
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
1 tin chopped tomatoes, drained
1tsp sweet smoked paprika
100g white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper, to season
For the burger:
- Make the burger mix by combining the minced chuck steak, ketchup, Tabasco, Worcester sauce, celery salt and salt and pepper to season.
- Then make the four burgers by taking 180g of the mix and pressing it into a burger shape.
- Cook the burger under the grill or in a pan until cooked on the outside, then finish in the oven until it is cooked through, to your liking.
- Top the burger with a slice of Emmental cheese.
- Cut the brioche buns in half and grill each half until lightly toasted.
For the jam:
- Fry the bacon in a hot pan until it starts to colour and a lot of the fat has rendered out of it.
- Drain the bacon in a sieve to get rid of most of the fat.
- Return the bacon to the pan and add the chilli and red pepper. Sweat until soft, add the tomatoes, sugar and white wine vinegar and cook until thick - looking for a chutney like consistency.
- Once cold, store in an airtight jar - can be kept for a week.
To plate up:
- Place the burger on the bottom half of the brioche bun, smear with chilli jam and top with the other half of the brioche bun.