December's RecipeWinter flavoured Cornish pheasant with a sumptuous golden raisin puree Provided by The Elephant Bar and Brasserie - The Cornwall Hotel
For the main dish:
2 whole pheasants
1 large potato
2 large parsnips
2 large carrots
Half a red cabbage
250ml blackcurrant cordial
2 cinnamon sticks
6 juniper berries
Half a nutmeg (grated)
2 black cardamom pods
1 bottle of red wine
Juice & zest of 1 orange
For golden raisin puree:
150ml apple juice
200g golden raisins
150g caster sugar
For the red cabbage:
- Finely slice the red cabbage into a pan with the blackcurrant cordial, cinnamon sticks, juniper berries, grated nutmeg, black cardamom pods and half of the red wine. Slowly braise with the juice and zest of an orange until tender (approx. 2 hours).
For the Pheasant Bon Bons:
- De-bone both pheasants, separating the legs from breasts. Taking the pheasant legs first, cover with olive oil and slowly roast with garlic, onion and thyme at 120°c.
- Cook until tender (approximately 1 hour). When cool remove the skin and flake off the meat and mix it with 1 egg yolk, salt and pepper.
- Shape the mix into 4 balls and then coat with flour, then beaten egg and finally the breadcrumbs - then set aside.
For the roast gravy:
- In a separate pan, cover the pheasant carcasses with water and root vegetables to form a stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour.
- Strain the juice from the stock into another pan, add the remaining red wine and reduce to around 250ml - then set aside.
For the roast vegetables:
- Peel and cook the parsnips and carrots before finishing them in a frying pan to crisp up.
For the Parisian potato:
- Using a melon ball, scoop the raw potato to form as many small balls as it allows. Cook these as if you were boiling in water, but instead use butter and cook until tender.
For the raisin puree:
- Add the apple juice and Sauternes to a pan and heat to near boiling point – add the raisins before setting aside to soak for 6 hours.
- Put the sugar in a heavy-based pan and set it over a high heat. When the sugar starts to melt, swirl the pan gently so it caramelises evenly - continue to cook until it turns to a golden caramel.
- Drain the raisins, reserving the liquid and add them to the caramel and stir to combine.
- Stir in the soaking liquid and bring to the boil, then pour into a blender and blend to a smooth, glossy puree. Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl before transferring to a squeezy bottle.
For the pheasant:
- Place the pheasant breasts into a frying pan (skin side down) and fry until golden brown, then place in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Fry the breaded pheasant bon bons in hot oil at 180°c until golden brown.
Assemble final dish:
To plate up, top the braised red cabbage with roast carrots and parsnips, then add the Parisian potato and pheasant bon bons, before dotting the dish with the golden raisin puree. Slice the pheasant breast and place on top, and finish with the roast gravy.
Serve & enjoy!