March's RecipeA delicious dish of Cornish crab tortellini with a lemongrass, ginger and coriander cream sauce, provided by The Alverton Hotel
For the pasta
200g Italian '00' flour, plus extra for dusting
1 free-range egg
6 free-range egg yolks
50g fine semolina flour
For the filling
250g picked white crab meat
115g picked brown crab meat
1 lemon, juice only
1 free-range egg yolk, beaten
For the sauce
150ml white wine
1 tbsp coriander stalks
75g unsalted butter
1 banana shallot, finely chopped
3cm fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 sticks fresh lemongrass, bruised and finely chopped
150ml fish stock
150ml double cream
½ lemon, juice only
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pulse the flour, egg, egg yolks and semolina in a food processor until well combined and the mixture comes together as a dough. Put the dough in a bowl, cover with cling film and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Cut the pasta dough in half. Feed the pieces one at a time through a pasta machine according to the machine instructions, ending on the thinnest setting.
- Mix both crab meats in a bowl with a little lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lay a sheet of pasta onto a floured work surface and stamp out discs 6-8cm/2½-3in wide. Place a spoonful of the crab mixture onto each disc and brush the edges of the pasta lightly with the beaten egg.
- Fold one half of the pasta over the filling then press lightly to seal. Pick the crescent of pasta up and twist the edges together, forming a little lip on the outside edge of the pasta. Repeat with the remaining pasta and filling then set the tortellini aside, covered in cling film, until ready to cook.
- For the lemongrass and ginger sauce, heat a sauté pan until hot and add the butter, shallots, ginger and lemongrass and fry for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the fish stock and bring to the boil, then simmer for 3-4 minutes. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan.
- To finish the sauce, add the cream, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Whisk until well combined.
- To cook the pasta, heat a large saucepan of salted water. Once boiling add the tortellini and cook for 1-2 minutes or until they float to the top.
- Place the pasta in a bowl and share the sauce evenly between each bowl. Serve with fresh bread to mop up the delicious sauce.